Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What's Christian Love Without Christ?

Okay, this should be a good one. There have been some comments in regards to this in the previous posts, so you can elaborate on those, but let me first share a real story that happened today.

Okay, Rhonda and I just went to Walmart in Grandville to buy the kids some Christmas gifts and as we were leaving we were sitting at the red light on Kenowa and 44th Avenue heading north on Kenowa. It's the corner with the two story Panera Bread. Yes, I associate corners by coffee shops...Is that bad?

Anyway, as I pull up to the corner we hear someone honking their horn, but have no idea where it is coming from. Finally, we see a guy who is now in the middle of the intersection that is trying to turn from 44th Ave. south onto Kenowa. Well, he jumps out of his little sports car and starts pushing as traffic is going by all around him. We are still stopped at the stop light and as I see this guy trying to steer and push the car by himself out of the intersection while everyone else just kept weaving around him. I felt compassion for the guy! I said to Rhonda, "I am going to go help, and you jump into the driver's seat." So, I jumped out of the van, ran into the middle of the intersection, and pushed the car while the guy steered safely out of the intersection and to the side of the road.

Now, what I did was showed "Christian Love" by helping someone who was in need. BUT did he know the reason I wanted to help him is because I am a Christian? Although my motivation and willingness to help him may have come from my religious beliefs, I don't believe that he understood it that way. He could be just thinking that I was a really nice guy who felt sorry for him...or something like that. The point is, anyone could have helped the guy...Christian or not.

So, here is the question. If we are to be witnesses of Jesus Christ to this world, and that includes our own community, then is it good enough to just do good things to help people? Is it good enough for me to just push the car for the guy and be on my way? Or is our mission more than that? Do we have to open our mouths and confess the name of Jesus?

Now don't take me to the extreme and say that I am suggesting we need to confront every person we come across and say to them, "You need Jesus!" In a "talking down to them approach" I am just simply asking, "is meeting people's physical needs merely enough?"

Be authentic

11 comments:

kaitlin marie said...

weird...werent we just talking about this today????

Anonymous said...

No it's not enough,it's just part of our daily lives as human beings. I think it was enough for that man that day since you were out in traffic,or was God prompting you to say something? If you feel He was,then you had a missed opportunity. But yeah,you showed "christian love" 'cause you are a christian.See-ya,Patty

Diane said...

I also feel that as we being Christ followers, we are to act AND speak as Christ spoke to those around Him. Would He have stopped to help the man push his car out of the way? YES! Would He have said something to the man as he left him? Yes, I think He would have said something to him - probably not a sermon but maybe something as short as "Be blessed today".

Melissa said...

I think it depends on the situation you are in. We should show our Christian love through actions...so that "they will know we are Christians by our love". But if we are presented with an opportunity to share Christ with them, we should take advantage of it. However, we should not go around preaching to everyone we meet, as that will probably scare people away. I like what Diane said though, that we can say something to the extent of "be blessed today". This shows love, but in a non-threatening way...

A Stone Gatherer said...

I think God calls us specifically at times to speak for His kingdom. I also believe that it flows from a very close intimate relationship with him. My father was one that used every opportunity to witness. One time he helped a guy out of the ditch, and afterwards the guy said "you not only look like Billy Graham, you talk like him too." He also witness to an old man in McDonalds in Tuscan,AZ, and in the mall in Tuscan. He used to drive his daughters nuts. He was compelled to speak about God, he could not be silent. Maybe some are called more to do that then others. I do know he was misunderstood alot, especially by his family. Did he preach too much, maybe, but there was no doubting his devotion and love for Christ. Did I say to much and make sense?

Zaankali said...

You've got me stumped. (yeah I know that isn't hard to do) I guess I would side with what Patty suggested, did you feel like God was prompting you to say something to this man or not. If not I believe you already acted on the prompting of the Holy Spirit to help this man and we can't begin to know how God will use that. How do we know that this man was in a place in his life that he was even open to hearing anything.
Thanks fo keeping us thinking.

Mari said...

Good question. I know I am too often willing to do the action, but keep my mouth shut. I think we should listen for God's prompting at times like that. This would be a good thing for all of us to pray about - that we listen to what he prompts us to do and then be willing to say what he would have us say.

Deleted 2014 said...

I believe its about motive. Non-Christians do 'good things' as well; but, when a Christian blesses someone through a deed, I feel it's critically important for the Christian to communicate his or her motive behind the action. -

Even if we don't have time to spell out the gospel; briefly explaining, "Why I was compelled to get out of my car and help you" in relation to being an example of Christ's love is again, critical. I think of two key points: 1. The 'Butterfly affect'. 2. Christ's word NEVER returns void! --Someday, or sometime, that person might ponder, "why did that person help me". Nudging them in the right direction just might be the one single moment, on top of other past moments, that encourage them to finally seek out the source of this "Love". Jesus.

Jessqua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessqua said...

woohoo! I've finally figured this thing out....well, up to the point of signing in anyway.

you should update soon! i know you have new thoughts/ideas/etc... so jot them down.

:)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.